1895 The founding year
Having worked as a knitter in the cold winter months, roofer Franz Falke-Rohen founded his own knitting mill.
1902 FALKE: the second generation
His eldest son Franz jun., trained umbrella manufacturer, takes over the management of the small knitting mill and guides it successfully through the turmoil of the First World War.
1918 Falke Yarns
Franz Falke-Rohen and his son purchase the ”Wool– and Hair-Yarn Spinning Mill Carl Meisenburg” in Schmallenberg, now known as FALKE Yarns, thereby laying the foundation for the further development of today’s FALKE GROUP.
1920 Establishment of company headquarters
A new factory is built in Schmallenberg with the acquisition of new sock manufacturing machines and the first telephone connection. This same location still functions as the company’s headquarters today. Eight sewing company branches all the way to Thüringen, are commissioned to aid with the production process.
1928 FALKE on the way to expansion
Franz Falke Senior‘s handicraft business of 1895 has turned into a successful industry with approximately 800 employees. Franz Falke Senior dies, leaving behind a considerable lifetime achievement.
1939 FALKE Fashion
Acquisition of the ”Salomon Stern Knitwear Company”, founded in 1810 in Schmallenberg, where Franz Falke-Rohen formerly worked as a knitter. Today the Salomon Stern Company operates under the name FALKE FASHION.
1946 – 1950 FALKE trademark
The FALKE trademark was developed 1946 and used in the legwear area for the first time. The pictorial image logo was registered and patented as a trademark in 1950.
1951 FALKE: the third generation
Sons Paul and Franz-Otto Falke take over the business after the death of their father Franz Falke junior. Their main aims include strategic brand marketing for all products and the expansion of the export trade. In the ensuing decades sales and production units are established in Europe and abroad.
1958 FALKE Hosiery
With the purchase of the hosiery manufactory Uhli, founded in 1948, FALKE is able to add the production of hosiery to that of knitted socks. Uhli manufactured the first nylon pantyhose in Germany as well as the first hosiery on a cotton machine. Falke thereby exploited the fine hosiery market in addition to the knitted socks market.
1960s to 1970s FALKE Women’s Fashion
FALKE continue to make a good name for themselves by introducing women’s knitwear. However, in 1985 the women’s range was discontinued in favour of a stronger preference for a menswear.
1974 International locations
Parallel to the concentration of production in Schmallenberg and Lippstadt, the establishment of foreign FALKE production companies begins in Portugal, Austria and Hungary as well as a location in South Africa. www.falke.co.za
1976 Marketing Award
The Corporate directors Paul and Franz-Otto Falke receive the German Marketing Award.
1990 FALKE: the fourth generation
Paul Falke sen. dies at the age of seventy. His son Paul and his cousin Franz-Peter, son of Franz-Otto Falke, take over the management of the Group.
1992 Flagship-Store Cologne
The first FALKE Flagship Store for outerwear is opened in Cologne.
1994 Environmental Award
FALKE receives the German environmental protection award in the category “Environmentally-friendly Products” from the BDI (German Union of Engineers). The award is for the development of “Clima Wool”, an insulating material made of sheep’s wool.
1997 LEINEFELDE TEXTILE WORKS
Takeover of the Leinefelde Textile Works GmbH (LTW) in Leinefelde/Thüringen on 1 July 1997. With this addition to the FALKE Group, not only is the supply of top quality specialized yarns ensured but also the further development of specialized yarns for the clothing industry.
1997 - 1998 F1-Sponsoring
In 1997 and 1998 FALKE concentrates its sponsoring activities on the Williams Formula 1 team with Jacques Villeneuve and Heinz-Harald Frentzen as drivers. In 1997 Jacques Villeneuve wins the Formula 1 world title: Heinz-Harald Frentzen finishes in second place. The Williams Formula 1 team then goes on to take first place in the Constructors’ World Championship.
1998 Shop-In-Shop-Systems and Flagship-Stores
In Germany, 81 shop-in-shop systems have been implemented in cooperation with the trade industry so far. FALKE is represented with its products in 20 shop systems internationally in Europe’s fashion centers.FALKE opens its own flagship stores in the top locations in the select fashion capitals: Berlin and Ascona.
1999 FALKE KG
FALKE Hosiery in Lippstadt and Franz Falke-Rohen Socks are merged under the FALKE KG umbrella brand and will thereafter operate as a clothing enterprise.
2005 Full-range supplier for fashionable high-tech sportswear
FALKE is now a successful full-range supplier of functional sportswear. As a supplement to the existing range of sport socks, basics and second layers FALKE Ergonomic Sport System offers a uniform - optimally coordinated product portfolio.
2006 “RUNNER’S WORLD Ispo Award 2006” for FALKE ESS
For its perfect combination of high-tech functionality and innovative design the FALKE ESS collection was presented the Best Running Clothing Award.
2007 Design Award of the Federal Republic of Germany
As the only short-listed textile company, FALKE was given the award for its highly innovative Sports Pullover for Active Sports on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Economics.
2008 Purchase of the Burlington trademark rights
With effect from 1 April, the FALKE Group has purchased the Burlington brand. With this strategic decision, FALKE has acquired the right to manufacture and distribute clothing, leather goods and jewellery in the most important international markets. Burlington will remain as an independent brand within the FALKE GROUP.
Flagship store in Ascona
In Ascona (Switzerland), the FALKE Group opens a further top location flagship store that represents the company’s brand identity.
Opening of the production site in Serbia
The new factory in Lesikovac starts production of knitted legwear and fine hosiery for the global fashion market.
Opening of the first FALKE store in Zurich
FALKE has opened its first store in German-speaking Switzerland, located exclusively on Rennweg n°2.